Saturday, September 14, 2019

Storybook Plan

Story Sources
Obviously the Harry Potter book series is the most important source for me with this project. I'll also probably use some character or location analyses from the plethora of Harry Potter information online to make sure my writing is accurate. That will most likely come from Pottermore (Lupin's bio, for example), which is an official Harry Potter website.


Stories
(Note: These are extremely tentative. They're kind-of fillers because they're the only myth/folklore stories I know. I'm really just waiting for inspiration to strike as I read more of the stories this semester. Hopefully I'll find some before the project really has to take off.)
  1. The Sparrow with the Slit Tongue (a.k.a. "Tongue-Cut Sparrow")
  2. The Wind and the Sun
  3. The Astrologer

Storytelling Styles
I am most likely going to use frame tales, where certain character(s) are telling a story to my main character(s). I think each frame tale will be its own entity, but the overarching plot will be continuous. I have three ideas for stories right now (my indecisiveness is getting in the way of making progress):

  • Idea #1: Shrieking Shack - My main character (MC) wanders into the Shrieking Shack to find Professor Lupin, who tells MC stories of how he used the shack as refuge for his werewolf transformations when he was a Hogwarts student. The stories would usually be about his friends (the Marauders--Remus, James, Sirius, and Peter), the trouble they got into, and the support they gave him. 
  • Idea #2: Department of Mysteries - MC (and friends?) end up in the top-secret Department of Mysteries in the Ministry of Magic. They find different objects and creatures in there that each tells a story (potentially helping them solve ethical dilemmas and life issues?). 
  • Idea #3: Forbidden Forest - MC is having a bad day, wanders into the Forbidden Forest, and comes across creatures that each tell stories (of comfort?). Alternative: A "guide" of some sort (either from a myth--like the sparrow--or a Hogwarts teacher) walks the boy through the forest and explains different aspects of it (creatures, objects, locations, etc.) with different frame tales. 

I really like them all, but I listed them in the order of my favorites (so #1 is my favorite, #3 is my "least" favorite--even though I still love it). The problem is that I keep choosing one idea but then I am sad I can't do the others. Definitely need some input here. I also want to make sure I'm not straying too far from the original intent of the storybook assignment (focusing on myth/folklore) so call me out if I am!


Storybook Theme
Originally I wanted to send a moral message through my writing, but now I think my aim is to just make sure my stories are fun. It will really depend on which idea I choose, though. Idea #1 has a lot of potential to discuss the importance of friendships, idea #2 could definitely emphasize fable-like stories that convey a moral, and idea #3 could be stories that bring comfort.

Also, I might have an internal conflict that the MC is struggling with, and the overall effect of the frame tales is that they help him see a solution more clearly. Just a possibility!

Image of my storybook site
The name/appearance/everything is very subject to change since I still need to decide on an idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 11 Story: Gellert

(Warning that this story is kind of a downer!) Gellert could smell the wolf. He knew his owner, the prince, couldn’t smell it because he...