Saturday, September 7, 2019

Topic Research: Frame Tales

Although I'm still trying to decide which topic I will use in the end, I think the one I'll stick with for now is the frame tales with Alice in Wonderland one. In this concept, a young boy will end up in Wonderland and will have well-known characters (Mad Hatter, Cheshire Cat, White Rabbit, etc.) telling him stories that teach him a lesson. The lesson would be related back to situations that the boy had encountered and is trying to figure out how to deal with. I'm considering changing the setting, though, as I am currently not feeling super attached to Wonderland. I am starting to think I would prefer a setting of Hogwarts (potentially with Dumbledore or Lupin as the storyteller), but I'm going to think on it.


The following are three possible stories I will use for this topic:
  1. "Tongue-Cut Sparrow" (Here is a good summary of the story, although with a slightly less forgiving ending.) - This is a Japanese folk story about greed and anger. The key feature I would use from this story would be the idea of having a good-natured person choose a smaller and more modest gift if given the choice between two packages. Then I would have a less kind person steal the larger gift and end up with the "cursed" package. 
  2. "The Wind and the Sun" - The key feature I would use from this story is the idea that it is more effective to treat someone with a kind and gentle attitude rather than a harsh and authoritative one. I would write a story about two people using either approach and show how the kinder person's approach worked best. 
  3. "The Astrologer" - From this story I would use the idea of a person getting himself into trouble because he is paying too much attention to the future, and not enough attention is being given to the present. 
Side note: Since Aesop's Fables (numbers 2 and 3) are so short, re-writing them will probably have to involve adding in a lot of new details. I will either do that or I will only make the frame tales half of the story. After the tale is told, the boy will then use the new knowledge to apply it to his own situation. This might seem repetitive, though, so I would need to avoid that somehow. 

Image information: Storytelling from Tumisu at Pixabay. A visual of how I hope to bring stories to life through frame tales. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 11 Story: Gellert

(Warning that this story is kind of a downer!) Gellert could smell the wolf. He knew his owner, the prince, couldn’t smell it because he...