Monday, September 2, 2019

Week 3 - Reading Notes: Cupid and Psyche (Part B)

The first thing that caught my attention when beginning this half of the reading for Cupid and Psyche was how dramatic and lengthy the dialogue and descriptions can be. For example, Venus' rant to Cupid is 386 words and could have been made into 50. The writing is very excessive, which is not necessarily a bad thing. It definitely emphasizes a character's emotions and gets the point across. 

While reading the parts about Ceres and Juno denying Psyche help, I really admired the way it was written. The two goddesses really did want to help Psyche, and this is shown through the dialogue.  The way they talk about their loyalty to Venus makes the reader understand where they are coming from. For example, Ceres says,
“Your tears and prayers move me more than I can say, and I long to help you, but Venus is not simply my niece: we share ancient ties of friendship, and besides, she’s so good-hearted I can’t afford to offend her" (From Psyche's Prayer).
This writing does a wonderful job of being sensible and making the reader understand why Psyche is having such trouble protecting herself from Venus. It shows how she is forced to be her own person and depend on herself for protection.

The story eventually uses the writing element of trials, where Venus puts Psyche through four tasks. I've always liked this idea because while it might not be realistic, it is a wonderful way to develop a character and move a story along. The writing in this story uses it to introduce the world's kindness and pity for Psyche's situation.

I found this quote to be hilarious and want to keep it here for reference (it's more comical if you read it in context, though):
"Psyche left willingly, not to fulfill the goddess’ demand, but to escape from her troubles by throwing herself from a cliff into the river" (from Psyche's Task).
The drama--I love it. I understand that it's a dark quote, but it was not preceded by a gradual discussion of Psyche's feelings about the tasks. It was very sudden and unexpected, so it almost felt out of place. Still, it was an understandable element to add to the story because of the brutal and unforgiving tasks Venus put Psyche through.

I was surprised that there was very little point to Psyche opening the jar with the "drop of beauty" in it. I figured more would happen with it, but all that happened was Cupid waking her up. It felt like it could have been a useful element to add to the story. I suppose that is what Pandora if for, though.


I do wish that the frame tale had more meaning in the end. It seemed that it really was just used to comfort the young girl (unless I missed something or misinterpreted). In the end, it was just a story to tell. 

Bibliography:
Apuleius's Golden Ass, translated into English by Tony Kline (2013).

Image Information:
Psyche, by Waterhouse

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 11 Story: Gellert

(Warning that this story is kind of a downer!) Gellert could smell the wolf. He knew his owner, the prince, couldn’t smell it because he...