Friday, August 9, 2019

My Favorite Place: Okinawa

Okinawa Prefecture is a Japanese island that I have only been able to visit twice in my life, but I have grown extremely fond of it. A quarter of my family lives there and being able to see the island as both a tourist and a resident has made it an intriguing and lovely place for me. It is filled with beaches, castles, and Okinawa-specific food (my favorite being sata andagi, which are Okinawan donuts). Many people see Okinawa as an almost separate entity from Japan because its culture and food are so different from the main land's. Here you can see that it is a long but small island.

(Okinawa Island: Wikimedia Commons)

My favorite part of visiting is just walking down the streets. The atmosphere is very calm and friendly. Here is a picture of one of the streets I walked dozens of times on my last visit.

(Personal image of an Okinawa street taken December 2017.)

This elephant trunk-shaped cliff is a popular tourist destination and a really beautiful place to visit.

(Personal image of the elephant rock at Cape Manzamo, taken December 2017.)

Okinawa has many castles, but the most popular one is Shurijo Castle. Here is a picture taken from inside the walls of the castle. 

(Personal image from Shurijo Castle taken December 2017.)



2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, this is so cool, Brooke! I'm guessing most people know about Okinawa from the war, from movies maybe... how wonderful that you are connected to that island as a real place in the here-and-now! And since elephants are one of my personal folktale obsessions, I really like that picture of Cape Manzamo. Maybe you will want to do a Japanese-inspired project for the class this semester. There are some wonderful Japanese storytelling resources online! :-)
    Freebookapalooza: Asia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brooke,

    I love your pictures! The picture of elephant rock at Cape Manzamo looks so pretty with that cape surrounded by miles of endless ocean. The walls at Shurijo Castle look pretty cool too. I can't imagine how much history that place has. Okinawa looks ripe with unique culture and a great place to visit. Thank you for sharing this place!

    ReplyDelete

Week 11 Story: Gellert

(Warning that this story is kind of a downer!) Gellert could smell the wolf. He knew his owner, the prince, couldn’t smell it because he...