Monday, September 30, 2019

Week 7 Reading Notes: Chinese Fairy Tales, Part B

The story of the Little Hunting Dog was a very unexpected one. It was interesting that the writing focused on what the man thought of the tiny people instead of where they came from. It could be fun to write a story about the people and why they came into the man's room. I was upset with the ending, where the man accidentally crushes the tiny dog he started to adore, so I would definitely change that if I re-wrote it. 
Image result for tiny hunting dog cartoon
(What I imagine the little hunting dog to have looked like...but tinier, of course.)

The Fox-Fire story was also interesting to me. I might be able to use it for my storybook project, or just for the writing assignment this week. I liked how it starts off with the farmer seeing the floating ball of crystal because that draws the reader in. Then the fox is even more mystical and we learn he was preparing the elixir of life. The story starts to get confusing to me but I really like the basic elements of it (the floating ball/orb, farmer, and fox), and I think I could make something out of them.



+++

Image information: Beagle from Wikipedia

Bibliography: From the Chinese Fairy Tales unit. Story source: The Chinese Fairy Book, ed. by R. Wilhelm and translated by Frederick H. Martens (1921).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 11 Story: Gellert

(Warning that this story is kind of a downer!) Gellert could smell the wolf. He knew his owner, the prince, couldn’t smell it because he...