Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Week 9 Story: The Museum of Fortune

Welcome to the Museum of Fortune! 

The following display contains three magical objects that were once in the possession of three brothers: Suan, Iloy, and Ambo. They have long since passed but their stories prevail, survived by these artifacts. Please treat them with respect. Look and read, but don't touch. 

~~~

Ambo's Book of Life

book read wood leather vintage antique retro old reading brown box paper material education literature library school carton cover aged knowledge library books old books

The possessor of the Book of Life has the ability to bring anyone back to life. It has been said that it was given to Suan when he encountered an old woman during his travels with his two brothers. She enticed him by saying the book could bring anyone back to life. He bought it and kept it safe until eventually using it to bring a young woman named Maria back to life.

Illoy's Flying Mat

File:Polonaise carpet with flying cranes - Kashan (Iran) - 16-17th century - MET - Inventory number 43.84.jpg

Illoy's Flying Mat has the ability to fly the possessor to wherever he or she desires to go. On their journey, the three brothers came across another old woman who was selling this mat. It most interested Illoy, who quickly purchased it and eventually used it to transport him, his brothers, and the aforementioned young woman, Maria, to a ship heading towards a new country. 

Suan's Stones of Unification

Image result for two pebbles

Ambo's Stones of Unification can be used to reunite portions of any separated object, person, entity, etc. Its powers are much more complex that the previous two objects, and many of its abilities are unknown. What is known from history is that Ambo found the stones on the ground while traveling. He saw that on occasion they would unite to form one round black stone, then eventually split. While the three brothers and Maria were on their way to a new country, their ship wrecked. They would have been stuck in the middle of the sea if not for Suan's stones, which repaired the ship's planks and safely got them to shore. The three brothers then fought over Maria, eventually concluding that each brother at least deserved a portion of her. They divided her into three parts. Ambo and Illoy threw their parts away, seeing them as useless. Suan, on the other hand, used his stones to reunite all three parts and won Maria over.

__________________________

Author's Note: This is based on The Three Brothers of Fortune, a Filipino tale about three brothers who stumble upon these three objects and end up using them in their own ways. Since it is based around these three articles, I felt like a museum would be a great way to tell their story. The first two brothers were able to use their objects (book and mat) to save and transport the young woman (Maria, who was unnamed in the original story) as well as themselves to a new country. Suan used his to repair the boat and also reunite Maria's body.
__________________________
Image Information:
-Book from pxhere
-Polonaise carpet with flying cranes from Wikimedia Commons from Kashan (Iran)
-Pebbles from pxhere

BibliographyThree Brothers of Fortune from the Filipino Tales unit. Story source: Filipino Popular Tales by Dean S. Fansler (1921).


5 comments:

  1. Hey Brooke! What a great story idea for week 9! I have never seen anyone write in such a way as a “virtual museum”. I think this might be one of the most creative posts I have seen. One thing I did notice was that the bold underlined titles of the objects looks like a link since it is underline. I thought if I clicked it I would go to a website of some sort. It got me thinking that it would be cool if you were to write future stories about each object you could link them to the museum. Overall, this was my favorite story to read this week because of the layout. Great post I cannot wait for more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brooke! I enjoyed your format for your story. I went to the Fred Jones Jr. Art Museum earlier this month and your story with the first sentence bolded for each section reminded me of my experience there. One suggestion I have is to expand on what the brothers did in the opening section, to each object made sense on its own without needing to see other objects first, like in a museum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Brooke,
    I loved the concept behind your Museum of Fortune story – it reminded me of the Deathly Hallows story from Harry Potter. Maybe I thought this because they both involved 3 brothers who find mysterious/mystical objects that have certain powers associated with them. I think if I had to choose one of the objects, I’d pick the three stones. Mainly because of how the full extent of their powers are unknown, so it would be awesome trying to determine that.
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Brooke,

    I liked the way you broke each of the sibling's items up into different sections. It helped me a lot in separating each item for each sibling. I also enjoyed you giving us some pictures to go along with the story! I did wonder why the siblings decided to fight over Maria at the end of the story. It seemed that only Ambo was interested in her because he brought her back to life. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Brook,

    I enjoyed your take on the story. I like that it was like museum esk feel to it since the description felt like something I would read in a museum. It was enjoyable and to point and is a creative way to tell a story but not in a conventional way. I like the images you picked, It has an old rustic feel to them. You author's note also did a good job telling the readers what you did! Great story!

    ReplyDelete

Week 11 Story: Gellert

(Warning that this story is kind of a downer!) Gellert could smell the wolf. He knew his owner, the prince, couldn’t smell it because he...