Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Extra Credit Reading: King Thrushbeard

Grimm: King Thrushbeard - One thing I liked from this story is that right from the start you get a sense of who the princess is. It gets straight to the point with her calling her potential suitors rude names. I also really liked this line: 
"Look now!" said the man; "you are no good at any sort of work; I made a bad bargain when I took you.
It is hopefully a line that would make the princess realize she needs to change herself--even a beggar realized he didn't want her. A few lines later her pots she was selling broke and she thought "what will my husband say?" which I feel like is a great step in character development because she is considering the thoughts of others. In the end, when it turned out that the "beggar" was King Thrushbeard (whom she had made so much fun of originally), I really liked the reveal because he was gentle and kind, even though she did not deserve it. 


I could potentially use this story for my Department of Mysteries story in my storybook project (although I'm thinking of switching it to Dumbledore's office, but I'm still unsure). This would be a great story to use as a frame tale to show a character that they can change and be better. 

+++
Image informationillustration by Walter Crane

BibliographyBrothers Grimm (Crane) unit. Story source: Household Stories by the Brothers Grimm, translated by Lucy Crane and illustrated by Walter Crane (1886).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 11 Story: Gellert

(Warning that this story is kind of a downer!) Gellert could smell the wolf. He knew his owner, the prince, couldn’t smell it because he...