Monday, October 7, 2019

Week 8 Progress

Looking back, I am happy with my progress so far. I am most proud of the ability I am beginning to develop to ignore perfectionism. Even though my stories aren't perfect, it feels good to have written them. Feedback is also a lot less scary now that I've received a good amount of it and nobody has been harsh.

My weekly routine works really well for me in this course, except that I procrastinate on writing stories because of lingering perfectionism. I'm slowly improving on that, though, as I mentioned. My favorite assignments are ironically the ones that I procrastinate on the most: the story writing. It's hard for me to be decisive about a story I want to re-write when I end up liking so many from that week, but once that part is over, I feel a lot better.

I have been using the extra credit options, more just for fun than for finishing the course early. The extra credit reading works great for my storybook since I really need to learn about more myth/folklore stories for it. In terms of developing my blog and building my website, things have gone well. I've figured out how to use the basics of the platform and I think that's really all I need for this course.

Looking forward, one change I would like to make for the second half of the semester is to not feel like I have to rush through my assignments. I usually end up finishing them fairly early in the week, anyways, but I've always been one to want to finish things as soon as humanly possible, even if that sacrifices quality. I'd like to try and slow down and absorb more of the stories we get to read for this class.

A pitfall I want to avoid in this second half of the semester is giving up. I have a hard time finishing strong because I put so much effort into the first half of things that I'm burnt out for the second half. I'd like to be mindful about maintaining my current amount of energy and effort for the rest of the semester.

Something new I might want to try in my writing would be choosing an option outside of my comfort zone from the list of storytelling ideas. If I come across a week where I just really cannot come up with a story idea on my own, using one from that list would be a great exercise.

I found the below image to bring me some motivation and self-awareness for the last half of the semester:
Image result for motivational cartoons

It's a good reminder that we can spend a lot of time and effort creating obstacles and excuses for ourselves, and yet that same amount of time and effort could have been instead spent creating and working on what we're avoiding. Also, don't take everything so seriously! The girl on the left is having fun just creating, never overthinking it. I struggle with that a lot, and I'm working on fixing it. 

~

Image information: Comic by Sara Zimmerman at unearthedcomics.com. A really wonderful artist with a ton of wonderful and inspirational comics!

1 comment:

  1. Hello! I agree with you on this. I tend to rush through things for the sake of crossing them off my to-do list and hoping that I will feel more relaxed after. However, even after I finish assignments early, I am constantly thinking of what other assignments I can get done early and how I can get ahead; it is like there is no ending to all of the assignments and studying!!

    ReplyDelete

Week 11 Story: Gellert

(Warning that this story is kind of a downer!) Gellert could smell the wolf. He knew his owner, the prince, couldn’t smell it because he...