Monday, October 7, 2019

Week 8 Comments and Feedback

The feedback I am receiving from other students is very helpful. Most of them are just kind comments on what they liked, which is useful because it helps me realize what I did right. I would give a high rating to the quality of comments and feedback they are giving me because none of it has been overly critical or harsh.

The feedback I am leaving for other students usually also focuses only on the good. I never want criticism to seem like an attack so I don't like saying anything critical, but the feedback tips we're given is teaching me how to give constructive criticism in a way that doesn't sound condescending or rude. I really like the tip about saying "I wonder..." because it doesn't state my criticism as a fact but instead as an option that the writer can choose to use or ignore. It's more of a question on my part, wondering if the author would like to consider what I have to offer (instead of telling them they must do what I recommend).

I do have a sense of getting to know people by connecting at their blogs. While there usually aren't replies to comments, I feel that I learn a lot about people through their writing. I'd say I'm more familiar with my peers in this online course than I am with those in my in-person classes. Also, a lot has changed since my introduction post was made, and I've considered changing it but I felt like that would confuse new commenters since previous people have commented specifically on certain aspects of my post that would have to change. I've added in an "edit:...", so I think that works well enough currently, though.

The feedback assignments are pretty useful already, and I don't think I would do anything differently. Sometimes I find it hard to reach the word minimum, but then I look back at the assignment instructions and re-read the suggestions for what to give feedback on. That helps a lot. Also, I actually did make some changes to my Comment Wall after I saw the creativity that other people had! I changed my image to Platform 9 ¾, and I changed the words at the top. I love that this course allows the freedom for us to edit our content whenever! It allows for constant growth, and it helps me realize nothing needs to be perfect because I can always revise and improve.

For an image that expresses what I think is an important aspect of the feedback process, I chose the one below:


This image does a great job of summarizing the best ways to give feedback. Two of my favorites are nonjudgemental and easy to understand. Being nonjudgemental is so important for giving feedback because you have to remember to be sensitive to something someone might be proud of. You don't ever want to make them feel ashamed of something they worked hard to create. As for the easy to understand tip, a lot of feedback can be confusing and is not thought out well enough. You really have to remember that nobody can read your mind, and it can be helpful to make specific references to specific sentences/parts you are giving feedback on.

~~~

Image information: 21 Components of Effective Feedback from Growth Mindset Memes Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 11 Story: Gellert

(Warning that this story is kind of a downer!) Gellert could smell the wolf. He knew his owner, the prince, couldn’t smell it because he...