Friday, October 25, 2019

Extra Credit Reading Notes: Andersen Fairy Tales

The Princess and the Pea - I had never actually heard the full story of this before, and it was pretty surprising to me. I thought it would be deeper or more meaningful, but all it really concludes is that princesses are used to comfort and will complain even if they were graciously given a place to stay for the night. I wish there would have been more significance to the pea, or a different trial the princess could have been put through for the queen to be able to tell she was a princess. I really love the below image, though. The art style is so beautiful!


The Emperor's New Suit - I really liked this story, although I feel like it could have been made more concise. I thought it was so clever that the emperor never realized the weavers were tricking him and selling him nothing. I also like that the excuses people use to not tell the emperor the clothes aren't real are actually legitimate-sounding. It makes sense that they're too insecure or scared to say something about it. The writing does a good job of making the reader understand that.
~~~

Bibliography: Andersen Fairy Tales unit. Story source: Fairy Tales and Stories by Hans Christian Andersen, translated by H. P. Paull (1872).

Image Information: Illustration by Dulac

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 11 Story: Gellert

(Warning that this story is kind of a downer!) Gellert could smell the wolf. He knew his owner, the prince, couldn’t smell it because he...