Friday, October 18, 2019

Growth Mindset: Learn From Other Students

Quote 1
"DO IT NOW: Instead of procrastinating, we need to use the present time! It's hard to not push things off, but in the end, now is better than later! Doris Lessing: Whatever you're meant to do, DO IT NOW. The conditions are always impossible."
I especially love the last sentence of this quote. I always tell myself that I'm too tired, too busy, too whatever--but in reality, there's always something. The conditions will always feel overwhelming, making you feel like you can excuse a necessary task and procrastinate on it. I hope I can apply this thought process to hobbies, such as reading and writing. Since there is technically no due date on those hobbies, I tend to put them off because I have more important things to do. Reminding myself of this quote would be really helpful in those situations. 


How procrastination tends to go. 
Quote 2:
"WHAT I AIM AT: When thinking about this, I remembered a key chain that I had in high school; it was a novelty gift from a theme park. It had my family name and crest, and the motto was "He hits what he aims at." I always liked that. To me, it said, "you will accomplish your goals when you work toward them."
I've never heard this one before and I really love it! I could use this approach to obtain better focus in school. I find myself straying and getting distracted/discouraged a lot when studying, but if I could just remind myself that I am aiming for a degree and I have been working hard for it, I can get back on track.

++++

Image information: Procrastination from Nikhil Baliga on flickr

1 comment:

  1. Hi Brooke!
    I love reading people's growth mindsets. It is a great may to learn in a short amount of time. What really stood out to me about this post was how you included making time for your hobbies. I get so burnt out every week because all I focus on is school and getting all my work done. Then I just end up pushing off my school work by sitting on my phone. If I made time for the things I enjoy, I would be more productive with school work and I would probably be less stressed. Glad I read this!

    ReplyDelete

Week 11 Story: Gellert

(Warning that this story is kind of a downer!) Gellert could smell the wolf. He knew his owner, the prince, couldn’t smell it because he...